Sunday, April 8, 2007

Anthony Pierpont, The Everyday Photographer: My Favorite Photos- California Beach Sunset #4



This is the fourth in my California beach sunset series. This is also a sunset photo favorite because it depicts a sense of industry and man’s use of the sea.

I like the mix of a beautiful sunset photo with the goings-on of a harbor station; to me, it says a lot about nature and commerce, and how they have to peacefully coexist. I took this same photo during the day, and it didn’t resonate at all. In fact it was “too” real, and it looked dull and unattractive.

But something about getting the shot in the evening, with the softening colors of the sunset, makes this picture work for me. I think it was these softening colors that triggered the thought that there is/could be a peaceful coexistence between man and nature.

I’m pleased with the movement in the waves at the picture’s forefront. And, though I didn’t expect it would translate so well, the halo effect around the sun, combined with the cross-like rays emitted from the suns core, add a great deal of drama to the shot, too.