Friday, April 6, 2007

Anthony Pierpont, The Everyday Photographer: My Favorite Photos- California Beach Sunset #1




I shot almost a whole roll of California beach sunset photos last year and a few of them turned out to be some of my favorite photos from the trip.

I was trying to shoot sunset photos from different angles and had already set up this shot when a couple appeared out of the corner of my eye. Initially, I was worried that they would kill the shot because I was only imagining a still sunset photo, but as I thought about it, I reasoned that the couple added a new dimension that would not jeopardize the view. Instead, they would enhance it. I think this photo turned out to be my classic California beach postcard.

I closed down the lens a bit to emphasize the contrasting colors of the black and mysterious ocean water set against the illuminated, richly colorful skyline. The couple add size perspective to the shot, provide action and lastly, provide a starting point for the eye.

I have a few more favorite sunset photos and will get them posted soon.