Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Anthony Pierpont, The Everyday Photographer: My Favorite Photos






This photo was taken at a marina in Santa Barbara, California at dusk. I’m just an amateur photographer, so I don’t have the formal training you find with professional photography online. But this photo turned out really well. Here’s what makes this one of my favorite photos:



  1. The colors. I love the shading and the contrasts provided by the falling light. Within minutes of taking this shot, the sun set. I almost missed the cobalt blue of the boat covers and the shock of yellow provided by the boats, too. The yellow and blue colors typify sailing and nautical color themes in general, so I’m pleased that they turned out so well.

  2. The reflection of the clouds on the water is something I often see in online professional photography portfolios, but am rarely able to duplicate. The clouds in the water give the photo depth and some mystery, too.

  3. The geometry of the sailboat masts provided an added interest that I didn’t foresee when I snapped the shot. The poles, which support the sails, stand rigidly upright, making my favorite photo seem very still and silent. The masts remind me of a small city, and help provide a better idea of the number of boats moored in the harbor.

Everyday Photographer Tip of the Day: If you’re not a professional online photographer, you can still take amazing photos. When you “see” a photo that you want to take, try shooting it from as many angles as possible, at different times of day. You may end up with several photos for the trash bin, but chances are, you’ll find your photo. Bring a notebook and record what you did differently with each frame you shoot, and you’ll start to learn what works well for you as an amateur photographer.